Bram Stoker’s “Shadowbuilder”
Good vs. Evil
A demon is summoned to take the soul of a young boy, who has the potential to become a saint. If the demon succeeds, it will open a doorway to Hell, and begin a terrifying trail of destruction, possession and mayhem and destroy humanity. The fate of the world rests on the final outcome of a renegade priest’s battle with the soul eating Shadowbuilder .
Michael Rooker stars as a troubled, world-weary (and gun-toting!) priest who comes to a small town to hunt down the demon Shadowbuilder. Kevin Zegers plays a young boy who may be the key to destroying the demon. He will be used as bait for the demon. This film is undemanding, schlocky, pseudo-religious fun and for that I say watch it but do not b expecting much more.
Michael Rooker, as Father Jacob Vassey, is a gun-toting priest who never cracks a smile where a demon is being called forth. The demon manages to escape and Vassey follows clues that lead him to the little town of Grand River where Sheriff Sam Logan (Shawn Alex Thompson) is having a not-terribly well-concealed relationship with town vet Jenny Hatcher (Leslie Hope), single mother of Chris (Kevin Zegers) the teenage boy in the photograph.
The demon starts killing people, reducing them to dry husks which collapse to dust in sunlight or any other bright light, starting with the local deputy and then working his way through the doctor who examines the deputy’s body and Jenny’s colleague at the veterinary surgery. Ultimately he’s after Chris who, it turns out, exhibited stigmata when he was baptized, showing that he was born pure, without sin.
The Shadowbuilder (who is never referred to as such) must kill a set number of people, based on Chris’ age, before sacrificing Chris himself in the local church during an eclipse.
“Bram Stoker’s Shadowbuilder” is a good B-movie with plenty of excitement, an exciting and fast-moving plot, top-notch effects, a good cast and an original and threatening villain.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the main feature.
- Original 2.0 Stereo Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Audio Commentary from Director Jamie Dixon
- NEW! ‘Making of Shadowbuilder’ featurette (HD, 33:22) (featuring director Jamie Dixon, writer Michael Stokes and stars Andrew Jackson (The Shadowbuilder) and Tony Todd (Covey)
- NEW! ‘Shadowbuilder: Visual Effects’ featurette (HD, 13:26)
- NEW! ‘Shadowbuilder: Kevin Zegers’ featurette (HD, 5:00)
- Reversible, 2-Sided Artwork
- Spanish Subtitles
- Original Theatrical Trailer