This is quite a rare film which not available on DVD anywhere until now. It was also directed by Yasuharu Hasebe, who is responsible for some of the best Nikkatsu action films of the 60s and 70s. “Retaliation” is a story about gang warfare in which Jiro (Akira Kobayashi), an ex-convict, comes back to the street after eight years. His old gang is almost disbanded and really the only one left is the ex-boss who is aging and ill. Jiro is still loyal to him and goes to the powerful Hasama family to ask for assistance. Hasama offers him a job. He wants Jiro to settle the dispute in the rising manufacturing city where two opposing gangs battle over the land. Hasama promises Jiro that if he succeeds in this then he will be given control over the land. Thus it begins with Jiro going to the city with another six outlaws that were called in by Hasama who suddenly breaks the promise and Jiro is driven to desperate measures.
Going with Jiro is Shishido Joe, who has vowed revenge for his brother’s death in the gang fight that sent Kobayashi to prison. Meiko Kaji, is an innocent farm girl with whom Kobayashi falls in love. The original plan goes wrong when it is revealed that Kobayashi was merely being used for the gang’s villainous ends, and everything explodes in a finale that is bloody and cruel.
This Arrow special edition contains (aside from the movie):
Limited Edition Blu-ray (3000 copies only)
- Restored High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation, on Blu-ray for the first time in the world!
- Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Brand new interview with star Jô Shishido
- Interview with renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns
- Original theatrical trailer
- Gallery featuring rare promotional images
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan
Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp, newly illustrated by Ian MacEwan and featuring original archive stills.